Monday, January 03, 2022

Minnesota in July

Vacation this summer was a visit to Tom's family in Rochester, Minnesota.I fell in love with the green rolling hills, open spaces, and gracious hospitality of Jennie, one of Tom's sisters. I've never seen water towers, and Jennie teased me relentlessly about how much one in particular reminded her of me. Jennie and Ron's house was completely open to us, and Ron took time off so we could see some of the sights. This is from the Plumber house in Rochester; the fellow built this in 1901, no expense spared. He was in associaiton with the Mayo brothers, helping to further the Mayo Clinic. When we weren't being tourists, we stayed home visiting, reading the local papers, running, napping, and in the evening we'd play an interesting game called hang your balls. It's a homemade game, with plans available on the internets, using PVC pipe, golf balls and cord. Very fun. Some folks were really good at it. Others of us just stood alongside and cheered really good plays. Our family drove to Wisconsin for a birthday/anniversary celebration for John and Cheri, at a beautiful lake about 4 hours from Rochester. We were given a lovely, quiet basement place with their neighbors, Diantha and Clyde. I felt so at home there, too. The lake allows for both fishing and skiing, offered at different times during the day, and John towed me on a ski around the lake while Tom spotted me. Very fun. We couldn't have asked for more perfect wheather, so perfect that I wondered why on earth would anyone want to leave there. I was quickly reminded about the rough winters. Yah. I like Southern Oregon winters. Much more mild.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

W-e-a-t-h-e-r. xox