Monday, October 16, 2006

Returning to Central Oregon

Broken Top, left;
The Three Sisters: Faith, Hope, Charity, right

At least once a year, sometimes twice, I go to Central Oregon. I used to live there, fourteen years ago, but now I rent my places out, so its more work related. But that doesn't make it any easier to leave there after a visit. The drive over takes five hours from Medford, but my place on Riley Creek still tugs at my heartstrings. Some places just do that to ya. In the spring the place is full of sound and rich in green color with a sky so blue, so untouchably far away, and air, sweet and clear. In the winter the cold is dry and tolerable if you are in the sun. Lovely sun, 320 days a year.


Riley Creek, springtime

If it weren't for the isolation and loneliness, living 30 miles east of Prineville, Oregon, at 4600 feet, would be wonderful, and more people would do it. Prineville? It's a small town of about 7300, 45 miles east of Bend. Draw an X from corner to corner of Oregon and most likely the intersection will be right about Prineville. So, I just visit, and when I leave my favorite house I cry. I used to ride my horse out the gate and into the Ochoco National Forest. I'd gather watercress from McGinnis Creek, and pick wild flowers from the field up the draw. I started running just after my divorce on the logging roads and game trails that lace through trees, brush, across creeks. Simply lovely.


I went to Prineville to do a move out inspection, and for the first time I got to stay in one of my units. Built in 1940, this duplex is smack in the middle of Prineville, and I just love the knotty pine walls in the living room, hall and bedroom.

Shirley gave me her blow up double bed, politely reminding me that I was just about 50 and should not be sleeping on the floor in my sleeping bag.
The kitchen needed a good cleaning and new paint, so I spent a few days doing that.





My friend, JC, came over one night to keep me company. Very nice. I'm the world's messiest painter, my coveralls have a bit of every color I've ever painted on them. I have also learned to put my hair in a shower cap, just to keep it from dipping into the paint pot. This trip I TSP'd the walls and ceiling, primed them with an oil based primer, and painted the walls and trim girlie colors in light yellow and peach. Girly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Shirley to knock off the 50 talk, Irish. You're still 6 months away from your half-century celebration!

Girly paint: I guess that rules out lumberjacks as potential tenants.

Shower cap = Fashion faux pas. I'd have thought that Studmuffin Tom would have properly accessorized you by now. Maybe your sweet, smiling face has blinded him to such trivialities. It happens.

Love the photos. Thanks!

Steve said...

Beautiful photographs of the grasses and mountains.