Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Free Chick Day at the Co-Op


Since moving to Medford in 1996 to attend Southern Oregon University, I'd wanted to make my yard more productive, more edible. The lawn went that summer, replaced with roses and seasonal vegetables. That was all that I could do considering the work/school thing and a limited number of hours available in a day. Chickens were high on my list, and after a brief period where Medford didn't allow chickens in the city, some kind soul petitioned city hall and won back the right to have hens within the city limits. I don't know if this is what they really had in mind, but they are sure cute at a few days old. Joy had the idea to set them in tea cups, so I brought down the fine china I'd received as a child from Maude, my English babysitter, and plunked down two chicks. They are almost a month old now, and are flying around in the coop that Tom remodeled from an old garden shed.

No comments: